Jul 5, 2007

Independence Day

I can't help but to wonder what that first Independence Day in 1776 was like, as those who had fought themselves out from under the tyranny of England rejoiced and shouted in the streets soon after the Declaration of Independence was signed.

The sun was likely shining brighter than it ever had (at least for the Americans) on that 4th of July...a far cry from July 4, 2007 here in Europe.

Just to prepare us for the "wonderful" day we would have, the European weather decided to pour torrents of rain down onto the gently sloping terrain of central Europe for the two weeks leading up to our July 4th celebration.

And we have big plans...we're going to Six Flags in Belgium today (July 4th). The forecast calls for a slight chance of rain (100%, to be exact), but that doesn't deter our clever American planning. The further we drive (it's about a 3 hour trip), the more optimistic we become. "Yep, looks like it's clearing up," I say, as the rain, seemingly in response to my claim, once again begins pelting our windshield.

We finally make it to Six Flags in the beautiful country of Belgium, and it's shaping up to be a gorgeous day. It's not raining, and the sun is starting to shine.

Little did we know, Belgium weather is a bit more erratic than Germany weather. The sunshine we had all praised God for when we arrived suddenly decided it wasn't needed anymore and within fifteen minutes the skies were once again cloud-covered. Another ten minutes and the rains came pouring down. (I could go on like this for hours; the weather certainly did.)

Now we certainly didn't have a bad time. In fact, it was quite enjoyable. I must say, that's the first time I've ever been on a water ride in the rain.

Of course, I did miss the sunny weather, the cookouts, and the inevitable sunburn brought about by July 4ths in the states, but hey...I'm experiencing Europe and making memories with my wonderful family.

Please don't mistake my tongue-in-cheek post for complaining, for my next July 4th will be spent on a FOB (Forward Operating Base) somewhere in Iraq, wishing I could be sitting in the Belgian rain on an electric roller coaster, wondering if this was really such a good idea.

*To view pictures (and a roller coaster video) of our 4th of July Six Flags trip, visit http://picasaweb.google.com/aaronwp/SixFlagsBelgium.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tricia, I just found your blog. I love all the pictures of Caitlyn. I can't believe much she's grown since I saw her last. Hope you're doing good there in Germany. If you see Missy Lum, please tell her I said hi! You can click on my name to see my blog. I have lots of pictures of Mollie and Bryce. Take care!